ndis.sys latency

sorry for the late reply. i'm still having the same issues unfortunately. i was talking to someone else who also has a dell and has similar (but less severe) issues to what i have after he did an in-place upgrade to 10 too, and he didn't have a virus or anything so we were thinking it could be related, i don't know if that gives you anything more to work with or is of any value. i know you don't have any other suggestions, but do you think this is even fixable? does this mean that replacing it could fix my issue?

Hi. Yes, your replies are coming after a long period of time, and, as I always say, this is not good, since as the time passes, the system changes. OK, you said that you are not using the computer, but again, it's something you should see, if you really want to fix it.

From your reply, I assume that you didn't go for an in-place upgrade as I asked you to do. I wouldn't ask you to do so if I believed that it is a waste of time.

Note that your hard disk started to have issues, so this is another thing to have in mind.

You said that the USB NIC caused DPC (Deferred Procedure call) issues, did you run DPC latency monitor and see what it reported?
yes, it was causing high latency with wdf1000.sys, storport.sys and some other ones that i can't remember off the top of my head. ndis.sys was still a bit higher than it should be, not anywhere near how high it is without it, but the other ones are so high with it that there's no actual improvement with the function of my computer when i use it over the built-in one. i still have high latency with it and all of the usual problems so i don't use it anymore. if it would help for me to go back and check which ones it was specifically, i can do that this weekend.

A few people seem to point to either the Dell support apps and/or Windows Sonic for headphones.
i can remove them this weekend, i think i've already tried turning off windows sonic and some of the support apps but i can try again to be sure

Reading what you have said, that you had the stuttering issue prior to the virus and after the in-place Windows 10 upgrade, I would suggest that it appears to be software-related.
sorry if it wasn't clear, the issues i have now are all after i got the virus and did the in place upgrade to fix some of the damage the virus did. some of my files were corrupted and sfc couldn't fix them, and i was told to do that by customer support. i'm pretty sure it wasn't there during when i had the virus and only came after i started reinstalling/refreshing my windows install, but i'm not 100% sure because i had no reason to try to measure it (and didn't know about latencymon) then. everything's clean of viruses now but the dpc issues are still here

From your reply, I assume that you didn't go for an in-place upgrade as I asked you to do. I wouldn't ask you to do so if I believed that it is a waste of time.
sorry if I didn't make that clear, i did do the in-place upgrade like you told me to do and still have the same issues afterwards. i wish i could work on this more often and i'm sorry it's inconvenient, but it's a long drive home (where my desktop is) and i can't make that during the week when i have classes and work to do

sorry if I didn't make that clear, i did do the in-place upgrade like you told me to do and still have the same issues afterwards. i wish i could work on this more often and i'm sorry it's inconvenient, but it's a long drive home (where my desktop is) and i can't make that during the week when i have classes and work to do

Thanks for clarifying that you did do the in-place upgrade. Well, I'm out of suggestions. I really wish you all the best with your studies, and hopefully someone else could assist you.

Before I give you instructions to remove the tools we used, let me see fresh FRST logs, after the upgrade.
  • Double-click on the FRST icon to run it, as you did before. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button and wait for a while.
  • The scanner will produce two logs on your Desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
  • Please attach these two logs in your next reply.

Do you remember the name of the virus that you initially got?

Also, thinking about the initial DPC issue with ndis.sys, did you only have TCP/IPv4 and Client for Microsoft Networks in "Ethernet properties"?

Thanks for clarifying that you did do the in-place upgrade. Well, I'm out of suggestions. I really wish you all the best with your studies, and hopefully someone else could assist you.
thank you, i appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Do you remember the name of the virus that you initially got?
sadly i lost the log files somewhere in all of the resets i've done. i thought i had them saved somewhere, but i don't. i'm talking to the customer support of the antivirus i use to see if they have any record of it.

Also, thinking about the initial DPC issue with ndis.sys, did you only have TCP/IPv4 and Client for Microsoft Networks in "Ethernet properties"?
i don't understand what you mean, sorry

Attachments

• addition.txt
    60.5 KB · Views: 3
  • frst.txt
    61.6 KB · Views: 4
Hello.

A few more thoughts.

Your issues:

1. severe audio crackling/stuttering
2. mouse lag/stuttering, when i hold either of the buttons it will click multiple times instead of one held click
3. ndis.sys still has high latency (measured with latencymon)
4. pc sometimes freezes/stutters for 30 seconds to a minute

About point 2 above:

Have you tried a different mouse?

About point 1:

The following line is from your logs:

The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.

If the disks you are using are in a good condition, perhaps a hardware issue related to this is the cause.

About point 4:

The chkdsk scan showed that the disk had some error which are now fixed. Sometimes, when a hard drive starts having issues, it continues like this, until it completely fails.

Just an additional check:
  • Download CrystalDiskInfo from here and save it to your Desktop.
  • Run the installer to install the program.
  • When finished, open the installed program by double clicking on it.
  • If everything is working properly, you should see the status “Good“ displayed. Other statuses you might see include “Bad” (which usually indicates a drive that’s dead or near death), “Caution” (which indicates a drive that you should most likely be thinking about backing up and replacing), and “Unknown” (which just means that information could not be obtained).
  • Check the status for all your disks and let us know the result.

Attached is the picture of the network adapter, with only a couple of things enabled.

The type of virus would have helped as it would have given me an idea of the attack vector (the way you got the virus) and what files (that were known) it changed. And the potential damage that it caused the system and how to fix it.

Attachments

• TCPIP4.PNG
    TCPIP4.PNG
    12.5 KB · Views: 2
The type of virus would have helped as it would have given me an idea of the attack vector (the way you got the virus) and what files (that were known) it changed. And the potential damage that it caused the system and how to fix it.

This info would not add to what we already know via the logs and the additional checks we made. Besides, the computer was reset to its factory settings, a cleaning procedure followed, an in-place upgrade was successfully done, no system corruptions were found. I believe it is a hardware issue, as I pointed out here.

This info would not add to what we already know via the logs and the additional checks we made. Besides, the computer was reset to its factory settings, a cleaning procedure followed, an in-place upgrade was successfully done, no system corruptions were found. I believe it is a hardware issue, as I pointed out here.
The requested information was so that I might offer some post-problem suggestions that might help to prevent future problems. I trying to think of information that would help the user moving forward.

In your previous post you said that the information about the virus would help you tell the user how to fix his issues. The user was ready to ask the customer support service of his antivirus info about that. It's completely unnecessary. That's why I replied above with the way I did.

I believe the user will move forward when his issues are gone. At the moment, we are trying to figure out what is happening, and any suggestions on that are welcome. The "how did I got infected and how not to get infected again lecture", comes at the end.

A last drastic thing to try is a clean install of the operating system. If the issues persist, then clearly we are dealing with a hardware issue.

ah, you're right about the mouse. i really didn't think it was because the mouse is relatively new, but it doesn't have the mouse problem when i use a new one. i didn't have a spare to test before and saw that that was also a symptom of the latency thing so i never thought to buy a cheap one and test it. a bit stupid of me

is there a way for me to find out if \Device\CdRom0 is the problem? if it is, what can i do about that?

i used crystaldiskinfo and my C drive said 48%, the others didn't have a number but they were all labelled as "good" too. it said the disk that was at 48% was "good", but since it had errors before, is it bad enough that replacing it might help?

ah, you're right about the mouse. i really didn't think it was because the mouse is relatively new, but it doesn't have the mouse problem when i use a new one. i didn't have a spare to test before and saw that that was also a symptom of the latency thing so i never thought to buy a cheap one and test it. a bit stupid of me

He he! Sometimes the simplest thing is the solution. ;)

is there a way for me to find out if \Device\CdRom0 is the problem? if it is, what can i do about that?

If you insert disks that are not damaged and you have issues with loading the disks or the sound or anything else, then the device has issues.

I didn't mention before that the audio issue may have also has to do with the audio device of the computer. You can try to use another external audio device as you did with the mouse, and check if you are still having issues.

i used crystaldiskinfo and my C drive said 48%, the others didn't have a number but they were all labelled as "good" too. it said the disk that was at 48% was "good", but since it had errors before, is it bad enough that replacing it might help?

Disk's health appears to be on 48% but the status is Good? It's a bit strange. Personally, I would order a new disk and backup my files. In that way, you will be ready when the disk completely fails. If, however, the system starts not functioning properly, you will need to go for a disk replacement immediately.

If you insert disks that are not damaged and you have issues with loading the disks or the sound or anything else, then the device has issues.
this doesn't seem to be it, it doesn't make a difference if i have a disc in or not and it can read them fine

I didn't mention before that the audio issue may have also has to do with the audio device of the computer. You can try to use another external audio device as you did with the mouse, and check if you are still having issues.
i went to check this with my phone's earbuds but the headphone jack didn't work. i don't know if that's new or related to anything, i've never had to use it before (all of the audio devices i've had have either been bluetooth or usb). i'll need to get something else to test with but thought it would be best to mention it now, i'll update on wednesday after i actually test it.

if it is just the audio device i'm using, is there any reason why it and the mouse would both break at almost the exact same time, both right after my pc got messed up? can viruses even do that or is it just very weird timing? they both worked perfectly right before all of that happened. i hope it is just the audio device, it would be so much easier to fix

Disk's health appears to be on 48% but the status is Good? It's a bit strange.
i attached a screenshot of its page in case there's anything you can get from it, but it says everything's good. i'll look into getting a replacement for it for when i need it

Attachments

• 2024-03-31_17_17_46-Window.png
    2024-03-31_17_17_46-Window.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 2
if it is just the audio device i'm using, is there any reason why it and the mouse would both break at almost the exact same time, both right after my pc got messed up?

I don't know.

Let's see what happens when you insert an external audio device.

sorry for the wait, my order for it got delayed and i couldn't test it until today. i tried it and my audio is fixed. my pc seems to be normal enough now except it still has high dpc latency, is that something i should worry about or is it okay to leave it?

thank you so much for helping me, i would've never thought that it wasn't anything wrong with my actual computer because of the timing thing and i've never had a headset break and affect the audio in a way that could be recorded like it did.

I wonder what happens if you uninstalled Bit Defender Total Security. You can do that and check for a few days if there is improvement.

sorry for disappearing, i was getting ready for finals.
i have uninstalled it before and it didn't seem to help, but i can try again when i move back home if you still think i should

Back