[SOLVED] Windows 2019 Server 1809 Windows Updates Failing for a while

mossmanx

We have a virtual Windows 2019 ver 1809 server that has been failing to install windows updates for a while now. We have run SFC /scannow and the results come back with no integrity violations. We ran DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and it makes it to 8.4% and then states Error: 2 The system cannot find the file specified. The DISM and CBS logs have errors in them. We have also tried DISM pointing to an iso file and that fails as well with the Error: 2 message Cannot find the specified file. I would just rebuild this server but there is an application on there that we tried to install on another server and we can't get it configured and working. Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

Hi and welcome to Sysnative,

This server is fairly corrupted, please provide a copy of the COMPONENTS hive to see what we can do.

Upload your COMPONENTS hive.
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Config and locate the COMPONENTS file.
  • Please copy this file to your desktop.
  • Note: If you receive an error that this file is in-use, simply reboot your computer and try again.
  • Right-click on this file on your desktop and select Send To > Compressed (zipped) folder. This will create a file named COMPONENTS.ZIP on your desktop.
  • If the file is too large to upload here, upload the file to www.wetransfer.com and post the link in your next reply.

Thanks for providing the COMPONENTS hive, I will take a look at it, but in the meantime:

1. Are you able to copy / clone this VHDx image into another (testing) environment so we can do things safely?
2. Do you have backups before this Server became corrupted like this?

I have already cloned the server. We don't have the backups before this started happening unfortunately. We didn't realize at the time what was going on and that there was corruption.

Okay, I'm just started with a repair of the corrupted hive file, so I will provide it for the clone when I'm ready, but this may take some time.

1. This server didn't receive any updates since March 2021 as it seems.
2. However, I was able to restore some corrupted values, but many of them were too damaged to rebuild.
3. So I would suggest to replace the attached COMPONENTS hive on the cloned server and performing a repair install to see what happens.

Step 1. Replace Components Hive Manually

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.

1. Download COMPONENTS.ZIP and save to your desktop.
  2. Right-click on it and select Extract all.... Make sure the "Show extracted files when complete" is checked and click Extract.
  3. Now we have the COMPONENTS file that we will be using to replace your current one.
  4. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\config
  5. Right-click on the current COMPONENTS file and select rename. Rename it to COMPONENTS.bad.
    Note: If you get an error that the file is in use, reboot your computer and then try again.
  6. Take the file from the Components folder on your desktop and paste it into C:\Windows\System32\config

Step 2. Perform an in-place upgrade with the server 2019 ISO.
  • Mount the Windows Server ISO and run Setup.exe. You can use the Microsoft Evaluation Centre to download the ISO files.
  • Use the option Download updates, drivers, and optional features (recommended) and click Next.
  • Depending on your Windows Server version and license, you may see a screen prompting you to enter the licensing key.
  • In the next screen, select the image of the installed Windows Server edition and click Next.
  • Then accept the EULA. To perform a in-place upgrade, you need to check keep personal files and apps. Then click Next.
  • After clicking Next, an upgrade process will start checking for updates, when this is ready click install to start the in-place upgrade.

Attachments

I have gone ahead and replaced the components file and have run an in-place upgrade of 2019. Server is up and running, awaiting next instructions.
Thank you.

Hi,

Please run the following tool again and post the result

Download
61f7aba7309a1-ComponentsScanner_Icon.png
ComponentsScanner and save it to your desktop.
  • Right-click ComponentsScanner.exe and select "Run as administrator", click Yes on the UAC (User Account Control) prompt which appears.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Once complete, a report will be saved to your desktop called ComponentsScanner.txt.
  • Post the logfile ComponentsScanner.txt as attachment into your next reply.

Hi,

This looks much better, however the current build is (17763.3650) / November 2022. So I would suggest to update this server to see if the latest LCU's can be installed without any further issues.

Hi,

You're welcome. And from this you can safely fix the production server as well.
For now I will mark this thread as solved

Back