RectifyPad as alternative for WordPad in Windows 11 24H2

Maxstar

Windows Update Moderator, Security Analyst
Staff member
As you may know or noticed, Microsoft has removed Wordpad from the latest build of Windows 11 (24H2). There is a workaround to bring it back from an older build, however, there's also an open-source alternative called RectifyPad with the same functions. So if you don't want to tweak your Windows installation with older (phased-out) components, is RectifyPad a good alternative to use.

Info: GitHub - Lixkote/RectifyPad: Modern Windows WordPad alternative for Windows 11
Downloads: Release RectifyPad Alpha Preview 1 ยท Lixkote/RectifyPad

RectifyPad.webp

I wonder if WordPad will be missed that much that there will be much of a demand for this alternative? WordPad was so much better than Microsoft Write it replaced way back in W95. But even WordPad never supplanted Notepad, which is still in W11 and even includes some enhancements.

If I need to jot down a note, I open Notepad. If I need more text formatting, I open my full blown word processor, Word on this system and my laptop, LibreOffice on my other systems.

As you may know or noticed
I didn't notice - I guess that's why I wondered how sorely it will be missed.

I agree with that and I don't think WordPad will be missed, but there are already some tweaks (third-party-installers) circulating which are not very reliable. So if anyone really likes to use Wordpad, then it's safer / better to use an open-source version rather than old components from previous builds applied by third-party-installers with (unknown) tweaks.

So if anyone really likes to use Wordpad, then it's safer / better to use an open-source version rather than old components from previous builds applied by third-party-installers with (unknown) tweaks.
Not sure I agree. Open-source does not automatically imply safer or better. I agree "unknown tweaks" are red flags, but just because an installer is 3rd party, that again does not imply is not safe.

But if worried, Winaero Tweaker is not unknown. It has been around for over a dozens years and is proven to be reliable and safe. And the W11 version has the option to install the "Classic WordPad" too. I would suggest that.

I've used Winaero on all my W10 and W11 machines to, for example, install the "Classic Games from Windows 7" (classic versions of FreeCell, Mahjong, Chess, Minesweeper, Solitaire, and my favorite, Spider Solitaire). The bloated versions of these games from the MS Store MS wants us to install in W8/10/11 are horrendous - at least IMO.

I also note the github page for RectifyPad claims RectifyPad provides,
almost the same functionality as its predecessor
Not sure what "almost" the same functionality means and not sure I would claim Rectify as WordPad's successor when it is not an official replacement. Still, it is good to know there are options out there. :)

Back