Windows Updates Always Fail and Undo - Windows Server 2016 Version 10.0.14393

wvw

This server is pretty sluggish and has frequent VSS errors. When rebooting the server tries to install Windows updates, which eventually fail and must be undone. This process takes a few hours. Any help is appreciated.

Last DISM result:

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 10.0.14393.3750

Image Version: 10.0.14393.3241

[===========================98.9%========================= ]
Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

Attachments

Hi,

Step 1. Download
6530fbb0f4101-56f31e53c97da-SFCFix.PNG
SFCFix and save it to your desktop.

Warning: This fix was written specifically for this system. Do not run this fix on another system.
  • Save any work you have open, and close all programs.
  • Download the attachment SFCFix.zip and save it to your desktop.
  • Drag the SFCFix.zip file over the SFCFix.exe executable and release it.
650c22f99662d-6190d993a26f3-SFCFix-Zip-Eng.gif

• SFCFix will launch, let it complete.
  • Once done, a file will appear on your desktop, called SFCFix.txt.
  • Post the logfile (SFCFix.txt) as attachment in your next reply.

Step 2. Run the following DISM command and post the result. If it fails attach a new copy of the CBS log.
Code:
DISM /online /cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

Attachments

• Thanks
Reactions: wvw
Thanks Max. I actually was able to fix this one myself but the latest cumulative update is still failing. DISM RestoreHealth completes cleanly and no corruption found in ComponentsScanner or CBS log. A post I read online suggested to just wait for the next cumulative release. Any ideas? I'm not too worried if this last update won't install since the image is at least healthy.

Hi,

Which fix have you used? I would suggest to run the fix in post #2 as well and attempt to update again and post the result.

My fix had the same payload but only the following script:
Code:
::
{ARCHIVE}\WinSxS %systemroot%\WinSxS [DIR]

I ran your fix, DISM RestoreHealth exited cleanly, and rebooted. Windows update still fails and has to undo. Just the most recent cumulative update, KB5044293.

Attachments

Hi,

This looks much better, please run also the System File Checker and post the result.
Code:
SFC /Scannow

SFC could not complete due to a pending reboot (for Windows updates). Rebooted to install updates but they again failed and are undoing.

Hi,

Upload a copy of the CBS folder
  • Open Windows Explorer and browse to the C:\Windows\Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder and choose Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Now the message will appear, "Windows cannot create the Compressed (zipped) Folder here. Do you want it to be placed on the desktop instead?"
  • Click on the Yes button here.
653a64385d891-618e949e09fef-CBS-Folder.png

• Attach the file CBS.zip to your next reply. If the file is too large to attach, upload the CBS.zip file to www.wetransfer.com and post the link in your next reply.

Hi,

Please provide the CBS logs.

Upload a copy of the CBS folder
  • Open Windows Explorer and browse to the C:\Windows\Logs folder.
  • Right-click on the CBS folder and choose Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.
  • Now the message will appear, "Windows cannot create the Compressed (zipped) Folder here. Do you want it to be placed on the desktop instead?"
  • Click on the Yes button here.
653a64385d891-618e949e09fef-CBS-Folder.png

• Attach the file CBS.zip to your next reply. If the file is too large to attach, upload the CBS.zip file to www.wetransfer.com and post the link in your next reply.

Rich (BB code):
2024-10-21 09:35:47, Error                 CBS    Startup: Failed while processing non-critical primitive operations queue. Non-critical primitives will be retried from SMSS. [HRESULT = 0x80070020 - ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION]

2024-10-21 10:22:37, Error      [0x01805b] CSI    00000509 (F) Failed execution of queue item Installer: Network Drivers ({a111f280-5923-47c0-9a68-d0bafb577901}) with HRESULT 800106d9 [Error,Facility=(0001),Code=1753 (0x06d9)].  Failure will be ignored: The failure was encountered during rollback; installer is reliable[gle=0x80004005]

1. Is this server connected to an WSUS server?
2. Are you able to disconnect this server from the WSUS server to use the regular Windows Update function to see what happens?

Not per se. It has an agent that queues download/installation of updates on the host itself.

Follow these instructions to install an update with DISM.
  • Open the Start menu of Windows and type CMD.
  • When you see Command Prompt on the list, select the option Run as administrator.
  • Copy and paste the following command into it, and press enter. (Leave the CMD window open!)
Code:
MD C:\WUTemp
  • Now, download the following update (KB5044293) to: C:\WUTemp - Or copy this file from the download directory to C:\WUTemp. (Important!)
    Downloadlink: KB5044293
  • Copy and paste the following commands one at a time into the command prompt and press enter after each.
Code:
CD C:\WUTemp
EXPAND.exe windows10.0-kb5044293-x64_a77416569fda84f586ea79df98afe3e83000bb3f.msu -f:* C:\WUTemp
DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\WUtemp\Windows10.0-KB5044293-x64.cab
  • Let me know if it says it was successful or if there are any errors. Or take a screenshot of the command prompt window and paste it into your next reply.

Back