[SOLVED] Cannot install 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5036893) Update. Error code 0x800705b9

@Maxstar

Hi Max

When I try to run setupdiag, a cmd windows pop up then close immediately. I don't see SetupDiagResults.log and Logs.zip folder anywhere in my download folder and desktop.

Hi,

Please provide the following logs.

C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\Setuperr.log
C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Panther\Setupact.log

@Maxstar
There is no $Windows~BT folder in my C drive. There is $Windows~WS folder.

Here are setuperr.log and setupact.log in $Windows~WS folder.

Attachments

• setup.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi,

Please remove Bitdefender Total Security and then try again to perform the in-place-upgrade.

@Maxstar

I still cannot do in-place-upgrade with Bitdefender completely uninstall

But there is a $Windows~BT folder generated and I had attached the two setup logs that you had requested.

Attachments

• $Widows-BT .zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 2
Hi,

Please create a backup of your system if you haven't done so already, open a command prompt from the Windows Recovery environment using the Windows USB/DVD.

diskpart - Opens the Disk Partitionning tool
select disk 0 - Will select your first hard drive (the one with the Windows partition on it)
list volume - Note the number of the partition that have no drive letter assigned to it, is of 260MB of size and have "FAT32" listed under the "FS" column
select volume X - X will be the number of your partition with a size of 260MB, the EFI System Partition one that you identified in the last command
assign letter=Z: - It'll assign the Z: letter to the EFI System Partition
exit - To exit the diskpart utility

Now you'll be back in the command prompt, enter the following commands:

cd /d Z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot - Goes to the "Boot" directory in the Z: partition
attrib Z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD -h -r -s - Removes the hidden, read-only and system attributes from the BCD folder
ren Z:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD BCD.old - Renamed the BCD folder to BCD.old
bootrec /rebuildbcd - This command will rebuild the BCD.

When it asks you Add the installation to boot list?, press on y followed by Enter and if it succeed, you'll have a The operation completed successfully message. Once you're done, close the command prompt, restart your computer and try to upgrade again.

@Maxstar

I don't see the partition that have no drive letter, 260MB in size, and fat32 listed under fs partition.

Here is the screenshot of it

Attachments

• PXL_20240427_134153115.jpg
    PXL_20240427_134153115.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi,

Hmm, strange results; normally the partition table looks like this:
Rich (BB code):
  Volume 1     C   System       NTFS   Partition    465 GB  Healthy    Boot
  Volume 2                      NTFS   Partition    529 MB  Healthy    Hidden
  Volume 3                      FAT32  Partition    100 MB  Healthy    System

It seems the H drive is your BCD partition, but it could also be the J drive?

Since this forum is limited to get replies from other helpers I would suggest to start a new thread in the Windows 11 forum with all the info about your partitions including the following errors:
Rich (BB code):
2024-04-27 00:22:18, Error                 SP         BFSVC: Error creating \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bg-BG\ path! Last Error = 0xb7[gle=0x000000b7]
2024-04-27 00:22:18, Error                 SP         BFSVC: Error copying boot files from C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Boot\EFI to \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\EFI\Microsoft\Boot! Last Error = 0xb7[gle=0x000000b7]
2024-04-27 00:22:18, Error                 SP         BFSVC: ServicingBootFiles failed. Error = 0xb7[gle=0x000000b7]
2024-04-27 00:22:18, Error                 SP         CUpdateBootCode::DoExecute: An error occurred while servicing the boot files from [C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Boot]. Error: 0x800700B7[gle=0x000000b7]
2024-04-27 00:22:18, Error                 SP         CUpdateBootCode::DoExecute: Error is fatal, operation will fail.[gle=0x000000b7]

So what does this mean?
That this is not a problem with Windows Update, but rather an issue with your partition configuration, it is also strange why your OS drive has the letter I. (disk 5).

And it seems your 526 MB paritition with the name "recovery" could be the issue, so I would start a new thread to get advise from other helpers too get some additional advise...

@Maxstar

Update: I manage to do in-place upgrade windows 11 repair after running chkdsk /f /r /v in the cmd and let it finish. But I still can't install 2024-04 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5036893) update. It will says something didn't go as planned after it reaches 97% mark.

Now there are Windows.old and $WinREAgent folders in my C drive.

I have attached component scan log and CBS log for in-place upgrade windows 11 repair. In addition, diskpart and disk management info after in-place upgrade windows 11 repair.

Attachments

• ComponentsScanner.txt
    723 bytes · Views: 2
  • CBS.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 2
  • WindowsTerminal_XYQaAN2tfG.png
    WindowsTerminal_XYQaAN2tfG.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 3
  • mmc_EC9fmHxCzp.png
    mmc_EC9fmHxCzp.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 3
  • mmc_7hi5F8o4G4.png
    mmc_7hi5F8o4G4.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 3
Hi,

Please post the latest CBS after the in-place upgrade was done..

Rich (BB code):
2024-04-27 16:25:48, Info                  CSI    00000bea BFSVC: 'Error creating \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume2\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bg-BG\ path! Last Error = 0xb7'

Hi,

Still the same issue, please run the following command in an elevated prompt and copy and paste the result.
Code:
bcdboot C:\Windows /l bg-BG /v

@Maxstar

Update:

Hi Maxstar, can I ask you to look at my new cbs log and component log again after a full disk restore from previous month backup? Because I think there is some kind of frankenstein going on with my os partition on the ssd or some kind of corrupted Windows updates screw it up somehow?

What I did are
A) Full disk restore using last month backup (I don't remember that I had last month full disk backup) through Aomei backupper.
B) Then restore only C drive partition using April month backup that have the Windows installed on, no the efi partition and other partitions restore.
C) Then perform Windows Update, and this update went through fine? The 2024-04 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 11 Version 23H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5036980) also went through fine as well.

SFC/ scannow shows no error.

I don't know if I should do in-place upgrade repair? What do you think?

I have attach the latest CBS log and component log.

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    11.7 MB · Views: 2
  • ComponentsScanner.txt
    722 bytes · Views: 2
  • picture.png
    picture.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi,

There was definitely something wrong with your OS drive / EFI partition and it seems the backup has resolved this issue. The latest CBS log is clean, so there's no need to perform an in-place upgrade again.

I think we can mark this thread as solved, as well as your other thread into the Windows 11 section... (y)

@Maxstar

Two more questions

1) Is it okay if I run the in-place upgrade repair?

2) Do you know why my CD-DVD rom drive show up bunch of numbers and letters in Optimize Drive? Is this normal for?

Attachments

• dfrgui_ZwAqkhCzkn.png
    dfrgui_ZwAqkhCzkn.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 1
Back